University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
Selected Recent Publications
Electric Power Systems, Critical Infrastructure Protection and Security
- "Smart Grid- Safe, Secure, Self-Healing: Challenges and Opportunities in Power System Security, Resiliency, and Privacy," (S. M. Amin and A. M. Giacomoni), IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, pp. 33- 40, January/February 2012.
- "Smart Grid: Overview, Issues and Opportunities: Advances and Challenges in Sensing, Modeling, Simulation, Optimization and Control," (M. Amin), Semi-Plenary Talk at the 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) and European Control Conference (ECC), December 13, 2011, Orlando, Florida.
- "We Are Not in Kansas Any More...: The Next 'Stimulus'... Filling Potholes Is Necessary but Insufficient," Midwest Reliability Matters, September/October 2011, pp. 1-4.
- "Turning the Tide on Outages: What are the true costs of implementing - or failing to implement - a stronger, smarter and more robust grid?" (M. Amin), August 2010-July 2011.
- "A Control and Communications Architecture for a Secure and Reconfigurable Power Distribution System: An Analysis and Case Study," (A.M. Giacomoni, S.M. Amin, and B.F. Wollenberg), Proceedings of the 18th World Congress of the International Federation for Automatic Control (IFAC), August 2011.
- "Smart Grid as a Dynamical System of Complex Interdependent Networks/Systems," (S.M. Amin and A.M. Giacomoni), Proceedings of the 18th World Congress of the International Federation for Automatic Control (IFAC), August 2011.
- "Securing the Electricity Grid," The Bridge, quarterly publication of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, Volume 40, Number 1, pp. 13-20, Spring 2010
- "For the Good of the Grid: Toward Increased Efficiencies and Integration of Renewable Resources for Future Electric Power Networks," (Amin), IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, Vol. 6, Number 6, pp. 48-59, November/December 2008
- "The Electric Power Grid: Today and Tomorrow," (Amin and Stringer), MRS Bull., Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 399-407, April 2008
- "Preventing Blackouts," (Amin and Schewe), Scientific American, pp. 60-67, www.Sciam.com, May 2007
- "Toward a Smart Grid," (Amin and Wollenberg), IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol.3, No 5, pp. 34-38, Sept/Oct. 2005
- "Scanning the Issue," Special Issue of Proceedings of the IEEE, (Amin), Vol. 93, Number 5, pp. 855-860, May 2005
- "Energy Infrastructure defense Systems," Special Issue of Proceedings of the IEEE, (Amin), Vol. 93, Number 5, pp. 861-875, May 2005
- "Powering the 21st Century: We can -and must- modernize the grid," (Amin), IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, pp. 93-95, March/April 2005
- "Balancing Market Priorities with Security Issues: Interconnected System Operations and Control under the Restructured Electricity Enterprise," (Amin), IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol.2, No 4, pp. 30-38, July/August 2004
- "North American Electricity Infrastructure: System Security, Quality, Reliability, Availability, and Efficiency Challenges and their Societal Impacts," (Amin), Chapter 2 in the National Science Foundation (NSF) report on "Continuing Crises in National Transmission Infrastructure: Impacts and Options for Modernization," June 2004
- "North American Electricity Infrastructure: Are We Ready for More Perfect Storms? ," (Amin), IEEE Security and Privacy magazine, Vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 19-25, Sept./Oct. 2003
- "Complex Interactive Networks/Systems Initiative (CIN/SI): Final Summary Report," (Author: M. Amin), Overview and Summary Final Report for Joint EPRI and U.S. Department of Defense University Research Initiative, 155 pp., Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Palo Alto, CA, March 2003
- "Security Challenges for the Electricity Infrastructure," (Amin), Special issue of the IEEE Computer Magazine on Security and Privacy, April 2002
- "Restructuring the Electric Enterprise: Simulating the Evolution of the Electric Power Industry with Adaptive Agents," (Amin), in Market Based Pricing of Electricity, A. Faruqui and M. Crew (Editors), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dec. 2002
- Special issues of IEEE Control Systems Magazine on Control of Complex Networks, (Guest editor: Amin), Vol. 21, No. 6, December 2001 and Vol. 22, No. 1, February 2002
- "Toward Self-Healing Energy Infrastructure Systems," (Amin), cover feature in IEEE Computer Applications in Power, pp. 20-28, Vol. 14, No. 1, January 2001
- "Toward Self-Healing Infrastructure Systems," (Amin), cover feature in the IEEE Computer Magazine, pp. 44-53, Vol. 33, No. 8, Aug. 2000
- "Defining New Markets for Intelligent Agents," (Amin and Ballard), IEEE IT Professional, pp. 29-35, Vol. 2, No. 4, July/Aug.2000
- "National Infrastructures as Complex Interactive Networks," (Amin), chapter 14 in: Automation, Control, and Complexity: An Integrated Approach, T. Samad & J. Weyrauch (Eds.), pp. 263-286, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., NY, March 2000
- "Human Performance Issues in the Security of the National Infrastructure," (Wildberger and Amin), 6 pp., Proceedings of the ASTC2000 (Advanced Simulation Technology Conference), Washington, DC, April 16-20, 2000
- Special issue of IEEE Control Systems Magazine on Power Systems and Markets,(Guest editor: Amin), pp. 20-90, Vol. 20, Number 4, Aug. 2000
- "Complexity and the Deregulation of the Electric Power Industry",(Amin), Proceedings of the Third Embracing Complexity (EC3) Conference, pp.101-106, Cambridge, MA, Aug. 2-4, 1998
Aircraft Control, Adaptive Combat and Game Theory
- "Neural Network Augmented Anti-Skid Controller for Transport Aircraft", (Tunay, Amin and Rodin), Proceedings of the 37th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, paper #AIAA 99-0260, 9pp., Jan 11-14, 1999.
- "Robust Control of a Hydraulic Valve for Aircraft Anti-Skid Operation," (Tunay, Amin and Beck), Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA), Vol.1, pp.689-693, Trieste, Italy, Sept 1-4, 1998.
- "Neurocontrol of Nonlinear Systems via Local Memory Neurons," (Amin, Rodin and Wu), Mathl. Comput. Modelling, Vol. 27, No.3, pp.65-92, 1998.
- "System Identification via Artificial Neural Networks: Application to On-line Aircraft Parameter Estimation," (Amin, Gerhart and Rodin), Proceedings of AIAA/SAE 1997 World Aviation Congress, Anaheim, CA, Paper # 975612, 22 pp., Oct 13-16, 1997
- "Evasive Adaptive Navigation and Control against Multiple Pursuers", (Amin et al), Proceedings of the 1997 American Control Conference (ACC), pp.1453-1457, Albuquerque, NM, June 4-6, 1997.
- "Application of Dynamic Neural Networks to Approximation and Control of Nonlinear Systems," (Amin, Rodin and Wu), Proceedings of 1997 American Control Conference (ACC), pp.222-226, Albuquerque, NM, June 4-6, 1997.
- "Neurocontrol of an Aircraft: Application to Windshear", (Amin, Rodin and Wu), Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Elsevier Science Ltd., Vol.22, No.1, pp.63-78, May 1995.
- "Evasion from Multiple Pursuers via Semantic Control Theory," (Amin, et al.), Proceedings of the Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 478-493, Paper # 95-3226, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Baltimore, MD, Aug. 7-9, 1995
- "Systems Identification and Disturbance Attenuation via Dynamic Neural Nets," (Amin, Rodin and Wu), Proc. of Neural Nets for Aero Control Symp., NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, 16 pp., Aug. 1994
- Operations Research Methods in Intelligent Transportation Systems, (Guest Editor: Amin), International Transactions in Operational Research, Vol. 6, No.1, January 1999
- "Traffic Prediction and Management via RBF Neural Nets and Semantic Control," (Amin et al), Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 13, pp.315-327, 1998
- Intelligent Transportation Systems - Traffic Sensing and Management, (Guest Co-Editors: Garcia-Ortiz, Amin and Wootton), Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 27, No.9-11, may-June 1998.
- "Traffic Flow Prediction by Radial Basis Function Neural Networks," (Liu, Amin, Rodin and Garcia), Proceedings of Neural Network Applications in Highway and Vehicle Engineering, US DOT and George Washington University, Report #FHWA-RD-96-154, Washington D.C., pp.1-12, July 1996
- "Modelling and Optimization of Mobility Analysis: Optimal Requirement Studies," (Yang, Rodin and Amin), Military Operations Research, Vol. 1, No.4, pp.81-106, Winter 1996
- "Intelligent Transportation Systems: A Global Perspective," (Wootton, Garcia-Ortiz and Amin), Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 22, No.4-7, pp.259-268,1995
- Network, Control, Communications and Computing Technologies in Intelligent Transportation Systems, (Guest co-editors: Amin, Garcia-Ortiz and Wootton), Mathematical and Computer Modeling, Elsevier Science Ltd, Vol. 22, No. 4-7, pp.1-10, 1995
Leadership and Social Implications of Technology
- "Toward Agile and Resilient Large-Scale Systems: Adaptive Robust National/International Infrastructures," (Amin and Horowitz), Keynote address at the International Conference on Flexible Systems Management GLOGIFT-07, focused on Flexibility with Business Excellence in the Knowledge Economy, November 15-17, 2007, Noida, India
- "Galvin Electricity Initiative: Technology Scanning, Mapping and Foresight," (Amin, Carlson, and Gellings), EPRI, Palo Alto, CA and Galvin Electricity Project, Inc., Chicago, IL, 2006 www.galvinelectricity.org
- "Power to the People," Cover story of the Minnesota Magazine, pp. 18-21, January/February 2005
- "Global Transition Dynamics Unfolding the Full Social Implications of National Decision Pathways,"(Chauncey Starr and Massoud Amin), 11pp. submitted to the President of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, September 2003
- "Development and Leadership of Research Consortia: Lessons learned and possible road ahead for continued innovation," (Amin), Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Conf., panel on Organizing Research Consortia, Vancouver, BC, July 18, 2001