University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
- Serving on several advisory and review boards in EPRI, the US Dept. of Energy, Dept. of Defense, National Science Foundation, National Laboratories, National Research Council and the National Academy of Engineering, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, Jan. 1998-present
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering's Board on Infrastructure and Constructed Environment (BICE), 2001- 2007
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences' Board on Mathematical Sciences and Their Applications (BMSA), 2006- 2009
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) for Jan. 2006-May 2010.
- Senior Advisor, Minnesota Homeland Security Senior Advisory Committee, General E.W. Rawlings Chapter in the Air Force Association, Jun. 2003-present
- Co-chaired several events including Minnesota's Defense Industry Roundtable on April 2, 2007: Minnesota Senators Norm Coleman (R-MN) and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and over 150 people representing more than 100 defense and homeland security businesses and organizations attended the Defense Alliance of Minnesota's morning event at the McNamara Alumni Center at the University of Minnesota.
- Served on IEEE Computer Society's Task Force on Security and Privacy, Apr. 2002- Jan. 2007
- Gave keynote addresses regarding infrastructure security and August 14, 2003 outages at several events, including: IEEE Twin Cities 2003 Awards Banquet, Congressional Staff Briefing, "An Engineering Perspective on the Blackout of 2003", hosted by ASME, IEEE, and the U.S. Energy Association, Congressional Briefing at the Inaugural Meeting of the House Research and Development Caucus, IEEE PES and International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRE) joint symposium, and IEEE Southern California PES Chapter.
- Chaired the Energy Security team of ASME Critical Assets Protection Initiative (CAPI), Feb. 2002- Sept. 2003
- Serve on the ASME CAPI Steering Committee, Sept. 2003- Nov. 2005
- Serve on the Board of the Center for Security Technologies (CST) at Washington University, Jan. 2003-present
- Served as the IEEE Control Systems Society's Chair of Technical Committee on Control of Power Systems: Organized/Chaired Sessions at various Control Systems and Power Engineering Societies' Conferences, Jan. 1999-Jan. 2003
- Served on a six-member team on the Directorate for Engineering at the NSF to determine the future investments for the national Cyberinfrastructure that may be made by the Foundation. Represented the Electrical and Communications Systems (ECS) at the NSF, to help Directorate for Engineering's future investments in Cyberinfrastructure. Participated in three workshops, co-organized a subsequent workshop focused on the Engineering research communities, Jun. 2003-2005.
- China Center Board, University of Minnesota, Oct. 2006-present
- Steering committee, Network of Interdisciplinary Initiatives, University of Minnesota, Sept. 2007-present
- Advisory board of the Center for Integrative Leadership, University of Minnesota, Sept. 2006-present
- Faculty advisor for Innovation By Design (7 MBA students), University of Minnesota, Sept. 2007-present
- Academic Planning Committee in Rochester for the New Graduate programs in Biomedical Informatics and Computational Biology.
- Teach short courses on Research Data Management and Social Responsibility as part of the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training required for all PIs and Co-PIs at the University of Minnesota.
- Faculty advisor (Jan.-Apr. 1994) and chief faculty advisor (Apr. 1994-Jan. 1998) to the Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society, MO Gamma Chapter, School of Eng'g & Applied Science, Washington Univ.
- Served on the Washington University School of Engineering and Applied Science's Graduate Recruiting Advisory Board, Jan. 2000-Mar. 2001
- Supervised senior and graduate students' projects and dissertations; advised undergraduates in the Dept. of Systems Science and Mathematics, Washington University, 1990-1998.
- Served as the IEEE Robotics & Automation Society's liaison to the Neural Network Council, 1992-'93.
- Served on the planning committee and refereed papers submitted to the Artificial Neural Networks in Engineering Conference, ANNIE 1992-1994.
- Served as conference Co-Chairman for the Int'l Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) Conference, October 1995. Served as Track Chair for Intelligent Transportation Systems for the Int'l Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) Conference, Oct. 1995.
- Refereed/reviewed papers submitted for publication to the following:
Journals: IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control; IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation; IEEE Control Systems Magazine; IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology; Automatica; Computers and Mathematics With Applications; Mathematics and Computer Modeling; Int'l Transactions in OR; AIAA Journal of Guidance, Navigation and Control; SIAM Journal of Control and Optimization; Neural Networks Journal.
Conferences: IEEE Conference on Decision and Control; American Control Conference; Int'l Federation of Operational Research Societies conference (IFORS); Artificial Neural Networks in Engineering conference (ANNIE); various conferences of the IEEE and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
Editorial Board Member
- IEEE Control Systems Magazine (Jan. 1998-Jan. 2003)
- IEEE Security and Privacy magazine (April 2002- Dec. 2006)
- IEEE Power and Energy Magazine (Jul. 2006-present)
Serving as Associate Editor-in-Chief:
- International Journal of Computers and Mathematics With Applications
- International Journal of Mathematical and Computer Modelling
- Applied Mathematics Letters